New Albany & Louisville Estate Planning Attorney
Planning for the unexpected and for the inevitable
Effective estate planning looks at all the issues, from death and disability to Medicaid and nursing home care. At Brightwell Law, we help you find the best ways to preserve your wealth and protect your estate.
Productive, efficient estate planning in Louisville
Estate planning is not just about what happens to your assets after you pass away. Bruce provides comprehensive options for ensuring the financial security of your loved ones through:
- Proper asset ownership — protecting your assets through the use of trusts and other legal instruments
- Control of process — creating a legal "rulebook" that permits your family to carry out your wishes and promote your values when you are no longer able to, without unnecessary legal process or the courts
Tools available for creating a comprehensive estate plan
Every estate is different, and every estate plan is customized — your estate likely requires different protections than another’s. Bruce works to protect you, your spouse, your children and your assets through the use of the following tools:
- Your last will and testament is a document that delineates how you want your assets distributed upon your death.
- A living will, also known as an advance care directive, tells people what to do if you become incapacitated and unable to convey your wishes.
- A trust can protect your assets from creditors and costly estate and probate taxes, and control the distribution of your wealth to your family after you are gone.
- A guardianship reassigns your rights to make health care decisions to a trusted person of your choice. Guardianships are most often used for those who are incapable of making informed decisions for their own well-being and for those who become unable to make good decisions.
How Bruce helps you now
Establishing your wishes before someone else must make decisions for you is critical, and requires legal assistance from a skilled Louisville estate planning lawyer. It can affect your health and the duration of your life, as well as your family including dependent loved ones, children or grandchildren, and their futures.
How Bruce helps you in the future
The days ahead are uncertain, but your health care goals and your last wishes don’t have to be. A comprehensive estate plan provides you with a voice when you cannot speak for yourself. A professionally drafted estate plan can also make the probate process smoother for your loved ones by minimizing the legal commotion that can arise if a will is deemed invalid or incomplete. Bruce can properly account for estate taxes and debts so you have a clearer picture of what is available for your family.
Contact a Louisville living wills and estate planning attorney today
At Brightwell Law, we can help you with all estate planning measures, including asset protection, Medicaid planning, elder care matters and living wills in Louisville. To retain a skilled estate planning attorney in Louisville, New Albany or Jeffersonville, call 812.952.9357 or contact us online to schedule your initial consultation.